In the United Kingdom, a vehicle can be taxed through two ways that is with a reminder or without a reminder. Many people are confused with the question as to how to tax your car without a reminder. In this nation, people can tax their car with a help of V10 ‘Vehicle licence application.’ As per the documents that you possess, it is determined whether you get your tax disc at a Post Office branch, online, or at the local office of Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).
When to apply
You must be wondering as to when you should apply for your car’s taxation. There are three situations, when you must apply for your car’s taxation. These situations include:
- In case your tax is due to expire at the month’s end, you can renew it from the month’s 15th
- If you want your tax disc to begin on the next calendar month’s first day, then you cannot tax your car over 2 days earlier.
- If your car or vehicle has not been taxed, since you have just purchased it, a SORN is applicable, or the tax disc has expired, then you can do it from the applying month’s first day.
How to tax your car without a reminder?
Since there are two ways to tax your vehicle, which is with a reminder and without a reminder, in this article, we will deal with how to tax your car without a reminder in the United Kingdom. This means that you do not possess a V11 Reminder, which could be due to various reasons. In such a case, you would have to use a V10 ‘Vehicle licence application’.
This form can be used for renewing your tax discs, in case your tax is ready to renew. You can renew your tax discs from the expiry month’s fifth day. And, if you have just purchased a new vehicle, but without any tax, the car is registered SORN, or the tax disc has expired, then you can tax from the current month’s first day.
Moreover, keepers that require a tax disc starting from the month’s first day cannot tax over 2 days beforehand. You can renew your tax in one of these methods. This means that the question of how to tax your car without a reminder can be answered by following one of the below mentioned methods. These include:
- By phone
- In person
- By post
Taxing by phone or online
Registered keepers can purchase car tax with the help of their reference number, which is displayed on their V5C (Vehicle Registration Certificate).
Taxing in person or by post
If you want to tax your vehicle in person or by post without a V11, then you will require your New Keeper Supplement or Registration Certificate from the V5C. You can apply for tax in person by any of the supporting Post Office branches. Additionally, you can tax by post to a few Post Office branches or at a local DVLA office. In both these cases, you will require:
- New Keeper Supplement or Vehicle Registration Certificate, provided that you do it within 13 months (from your vehicle purchase date) if you are taxing at one of the local DVLA Office or within 2 months (from your vehicle purchase date) if you are taxing at one of the Post Offices
- Valid cover note or insurance certificate (The insurance should cover the starting day of the tax disc)
- Valid MOT certificate, if required, which is valid from the starting day of the tax disc (In order to check the validity of your MOT certificate, the DVLA will perform an electronic check)
- The payment mode of the amount, as displayed on the reminder (This is not required, if your car is not liable to pay vehicle tax)
With these details, now you know how to tax your car without a reminder, including when and where you can tax your car. Additionally, you also know the documents that you will require to tax your vehicle.